Being prepared on the go will help you to stay on track with your keto lifestyle. It is when we are caught unprepared and off guard that we tend to make decisions based on hunger rather than rational food choices when we are satisfied. Cheat meals can turn into cheat days, which will totally wreck your goals of staying in ketosis and feeling well unless you have pure therapeutic ketones in your back pocket.
If you are staying in a hotel, try to opt for one with kitchen access (fridge, stove, etc) that way you can prepare meals a bit throughout the stay and you can reheat keto meals you purchased while out at a restaurant.
Flying or Driving
Whether you are flying or driving, pre-pack some keto friendly snacks to have on hand so you don’t make impulse decisions. If you are able to prep some quick grab items that will last a few hours without the fridge, do so.
We have made this Keto Snack List of items that you can prep and take on the run or you can grab to take out the door with little to no prep. Nowadays even gas stations are getting wise to the low carb/keto life. When in a pinch, you can find some of these by just stopping at your quick stop gas station.
Keto Snack List
Low Carb Veggies:
- Celery and squeeze packs of nut butter
- Kale Chips
- Seaweed snacks
- Yellow tomatoes
- Bell peppers (red, green, yellow)
- Zucchini chips
- Cheese- check the label for added fillers
- Cheddar cheese cubes
- Laughing cow cheese spread (full-fat version)
- String cheese: full-fat version without added fillers
Nuts/Seeds and Nut Butter: (be careful not to overdo it!)
- Macadamia nuts
- Brazil nuts
- Almond butter
- Coconut almond butter
- Hemp seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Pepperoni sticks
- Beef sticks
- Proscuitto and cheese
- Pickles wrapped in Boars Head lunch meat and full-fat cream cheese
- Pork Rinds and single packs of Wholly Guacamole
- Stevia-sweetened dark chocolate
- MCT oil packets– add to coffee to keep you full during travel time or utilize for cooking on the stove
- Sweetener packets- Monk Fruit and Stevia
- Cocoa beans
- Iced Black Coffee with heavy whipping cream
- Keto Coffee with our on-the-go packet of Kreme
- LaCroix or sparkling water – be sure to check ingredients, some have artificial sweeteners
- Bai Bubbly or Bai drinks
- Unsweetened tea
- Lemon water
This is meant to be a quick snack guide to help you along on your keto journey. Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed, if you see an opportunity during your travels to try something new that you have never had- take it. Even if it means sliding a little off course, you can always jump right back on. Keto is becoming a lifestyle change for many, so restaurants and other places are becoming wise to meeting the need. Lots of places have some wonderful keto options for you, it just might take a little extra effort to find them. We hope this helps take out some of the guess-work.
🌄Safe and happy travels! 🏖️